Call for Abstracts
The American Society for Apheresis (ASFA) invites apheresis professionals to submit abstracts for presentation at the ASFA 2020 Annual Meeting, to be held at the Renaissance Austin Hotel in Austin, Texas from May 6-9, 2020. Abstracts are welcome from both ASFA members and non-members and there is no limit to the number that an individual may submit.
Physicians, scientists, and allied health professionals are encouraged to submit abstracts on all aspects of apheresis medicine, including research, clinical, educational, or administrative topics/projects.
Abstracts will be considered for presentation in one of the following formats:
- Oral: A 10-minute oral presentation by an author plus 5 minutes for questions.
- Poster: A visual display. An author must be present at the Thursday Evening Poster Session on May 7, 2020. Posters will be displayed for the entire conference.
- Character Maximum Limit: 3,500 characters (including spaces).
- Character Minimum Limit: 500 characters.
Abstracts should be submitted only if an author intends to attend the meeting and present the abstract if accepted. Abstract submissions containing individual or affiliation names within the body of the abstract will be reviewed but will not be eligible for awards. Those presenting abstracts will be responsible for their own travel and meeting expenses. The rules applying to abstracts are indicated on the Abstract Submission System and must be followed. All abstracts will be published in the Journal of Clinical Apheresis.
Best Abstract Awards
ASFA is pleased to offer Best Abstract Awards in the following categories. To be eligible for these awards, the applicant must be the first author and the author who will present the abstract. Abstracts submitted by first/presenting authors from industry will not be eligible for plenary presentation or awards (of any kind) due to ACCME CME rules. These abstracts will be eligible for non-CME oral presentation or poster presentation. Industry is defined by ACCME as any entity producing, marketing, re-selling, or distributing health care goods or services consumed by, or used on, patients.
The following awards are open to both ASFA members and non-members:
Oral Presentation Awards
- Two (2) $500 ASFA Best Abstract Awards
Poster Presentation Award
'People's Choice' Poster Abstract Award
- One (1) $250 award presented to the winner of the People's Choice Poster Abstract Award as determined by the delegates of the ASFA 2020 Annual Meeting. Details on voting for this award will be provided to delegates at the conference registration desk onsite upon check-in.
The following awards are open to ASFA members:
Allied Health and Junior Investigator Abstract Awards
ASFA also presents two prestigious awards reserved for ASFA members. To be eligible for the following awards, the applicant must be the first author, the author who will present the abstract, and an ASFA member. A Junior Investigator is defined as a physician in training or a physician in practice less than 3 years.
- One (1) $500 ASFA Allied Health Award
- One (1) $500 ASFA Junior Investigator Award
The recipients of all of the above awards will be selected by the ASFA Abstracts Committee. ASFA may reject abstracts that are considered incomplete, unsuitable, or inappropriate for any reason. Abstracts, once submitted, cannot be withdrawn from publication.
Abstracts can be submitted online at:
Instructions for submission will be available on the Abstract Submission System. Abstracts will NOT be accepted by email, mail, or fax.
ABSTRACTS ACCEPTED BEGINNING: Monday, September 30, 2019
ABSTRACT SUBMISSION DEADLINE: Sunday, January 12, 2020
Notifications will be sent out mid-February.