The American Society for Apheresis (ASFA) recognizes that many of its members have difficulty securing funding to attend an ASFA Annual Meeting. Therefore, we are pleased to announce that 4 travel scholarships for the 2019 Annual Meeting (May 14-18 in Portland) are available for those that meet the criteria listed below.
One of these scholarships is exclusively for a member that passed the Qualification in Apheresis (QIA) exam in 2018. Of the other 3 awards, 2 will be reserved for Allied Health members and 1 will be reserved for a Physician member (with preference given to residents and fellows).
Travel scholarship recipients will receive the following as part of their travel scholarship:
- 4 night’s hotel at the Hilton Portland Downtown (arriving on May 14th and departing on May 18th)*
- ASFA 2019 Annual Meeting Conference Registration, including the Apheresis Review Session
- Lowest available economy airfare, up to a maximum of $750 USD
*The ASFA Head Office will contact the travel scholarship recipients in order to make travel arrangements, and make the hotel reservation on behalf of the travel scholarship recipients.
Applicants must be members of ASFA and meet at least ONE of the following additional criteria:
- Submission of an abstract to the 2019 ASFA Annual Meeting
- The 2019 ASFA Annual Meeting must be the applicant’s first ASFA Annual Meeting
- Allied Health Professional practicing apheresis for three years or less
- Registered to take the Qualification in Apheresis (QIA) exam
- Successfully taken and passed the Qualifications in Apheresis (QIA) exam in 2018
How to Apply
As part of the application process, the applicant must also submit the following:
- A complete curriculum vitae (CV)
- Letter of support from a supervisor or instructor
- An essay on the topic, “What I hope to gain by attending the 2019 ASFA Annual Meeting” (150 words maximum)
The ASFA Head Office will review applications to ensure that the eligibility requirements are met. Eligible applications will then be reviewed by an Ad Hoc Committee consisting of representatives of the ASFA Communications Committee and the ASFA Awards Committee. This Ad Hoc Committee will select four applicants for the travel scholarship, subject to approval of the ASFA Board of Directors.
- Application Deadline: January 18, 2019
- Notification of Outcome: March 2019
- 2019 ASFA Annual Meeting: May 14-18, 2019
Download the Submission Form, which begins on page 4.
Please submit your application via email to ASFA Head Office.